Sunday, August 5, 2007

RIP Amazing Coffee Shop on the corner of Bleecker and MacDougal

I found out today that my most favorite coffee shop in the entire world, on the corner of Bleecker and MacDougal in the West Villagey area, has been closed down.

This coffee shop was the only impetus for me to ever travel that far downtown. I'm more accustomed to the grid-patterning of the avenues and streets in upper Manhattan; and besides, all the concert halls are uptown anyway.

This coffee shop was unlike any place I'd seen or have come across since. They treat coffee like a fine wine; the barista is more than happy to explain to you from where their beans are imported (from privately owned farms where they're organically harvested and shipped to the US, less than a week old, and must be consumed within the next few days upon arriving), how to prepare the coffee (they even give you a French press coffee maker if that's your choice method of brewing), and they make some great espresso drinks as well. If you drink their fresh coffee it's unlikely that you'll need any milk or sugar because its flavor is so fresh and palpable; it also gives you a quick, lasting, and wonderful caffeine buzz.

Too bad I can't remember the name...but perhaps somewhere, in some nether region of Manhattan, there is a coffee shop that I can call my very own Mecca.

No comments: